Demonstrated expertise in project scoping, implementation, federal funding policy, and strategic alignment. Human-centered design ensures natural partnership development, and successful projects.
Listen to my episode on The Employee Safety podcast about hurricane resilience, mitigation, and technology: https://www.alertmedia.com/resources/year-round-mitigation-strategies/
Disaster Recovery Consulting
Project management, grant management, FEMA policy and grant subject matter expert, and first line manager for various disaster event funding including Hurricane Michael and COVID-19.
Operations Risk Insights A.I.
Project and grant management for IBM Operations Risk Insights with Watson, an artificial-intelligence driven disaster monitoring and alerting platform.
Civic Hacking Volunteer
Volunteering with Code for America – Durham Brigade to help local governments modernize their digital tools.
Innovative Hazard Mitigation
Project co-lead and client liaison for managed aquifer recharge projects that mitigate drought, capture flood water, and recharge groundwater.
Initiative design and deployment to inform IBM employees and engage them in environmental causes they care about.
Managing Associate, Disaster Recovery, Hagerty Consulting
Consulting on various projects for governmental clients utilizing FEMA funding streams like Section 406 Public Assistance and Flood Mitigation Assistance. Performing duties related to public outreach, client coordination, technical assistance, grant application development, and first-line management.
- Florida Division of Emergency Management, COVID-19 Recovery (Ongoing): Managed subcontractors and technical staff, >20 staff at peak, during contract with the State of Florida providing technical assistance for FEMA Public Assistance for Florida Division of Emergency Management projects.
- Florida Division of Emergency Management, Hurricane Michael Recovery: Managed subcontractors and technical staff, 11 staff at peak, during contract with the State of Florida providing technical assistance for FEMA Public Assistance Sec 406 Hazard Mitigation and Sec 428 Alternative Procedures for about 130 applicants with damage from Hurricane Michael. Managed the $1M dollar project budget.
- City of Santa Rosa, CA (Ongoing): Developed FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant Program project subapplications on behalf of the City for two hazardous fuels reduction projects to mitigate wildfire, for a total of $4.8M. One project includes homeowner education, defensible space, and ignition resistant retrofits. The other project will implement hazardous fuels reduction along critical evacuation routes. Wrote the Scope of Work, developed the project budget and supporting documentation, coordinated GIS and Benefit Cost Analysis, and supported State Requests for Information after submittal.
- Montgomery County, TX (2020): Presented FEMA Flood Mitigation Assistance webinar series on behalf of the County to inform homeowners on programmatic details, answer eligibility questions, and encourage voluntary participation. Assisted with grant application development on behalf of Montgomery County, for the $12.8M project, by reviewing and assembling homeowner documentation packages and performing quality checks.
- City of Panama City, FL (2020): Performed outreach to >50 homeowners, evaluated eligibility for a $1.4M FEMA Flood Mitigation Assistance home buyout program, and facilitated documentation submission. Assisted with grant application development on behalf of the City of Panama City by supporting benefit cost analysis, identifying Severe Repetitive Loss and Repetitive Loss properties, and solving technical difficulties during submission to FEMA GO.
Program Manager, Disaster Resiliency, IBM Corporate Social Responsibility
Owned portfolio of technology solutions focused on disaster resiliency as part of Corporate Social Responsibility function. Major projects included a disaster dashboard powered by artificial intelligence and an employee-focused initiative for environmental engagement. Produced, managed, and updated budgets, statements of work, and project plans.
Hazard Mitigation Specialist, Disaster Recovery, North Carolina Emergency Management
Collected documentation, performed quality control, prepared grant applications for FEMA, processed requests for information, and ensured compliance with Code of Federal Regulations Title 44. Identified programmatic alignment with HUD CDBG-DR Mitigation funds and leveraged GIS team to demonstrate subapplicant eligibility.
Policy Analyst and Innovative Mitigation Project Co-Lead, California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services
Tracked and analyzed public policy from state and federal government and federal legislation. Represented California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) in state working group meetings, including Climate Action Team. Managed $80M of prioritized federal grant funding for new hazard mitigation methods.
Multimedia Journalist, UC Davis and Because Climate
2016-2017 (Position held simultaneously with UC Davis positions)
Collaborated on an award-winning multimedia project that focused on a graduate science course in the Grand Canyon: grandcanyon.ucdavis.edu. Contributed to Because Climate, an independent project that emphasized climate change’s role in everyday experiences.
Paleomagnetist, Scientific Crew, International Ocean Discovery Program, Australia
2015 (Position held simultaneously with UC Davis positions)
Performed sample analysis and applied data interpretation techniques to assign ages of marine sediments on a drilling expedition at sea. Worked on a 24-hour operational schedule, 12 hours per day / 7 days per week. Diagnosed technical equipment issues and data anomalies increasing accuracy and productivity. Compiled data and interpretations into scientific reports and presentations on tight deadlines. Participated in invitation-only editorial workshop to verify sources and copyedit the final publication.
Researcher and Teaching Assistant, Department of Earth & Planetary Sciences, UC Davis
Performed complex research, working full time outside of the degree program. Instructed students in “Introduction to Geology: The Earth” and “Energy and the Environment” courses for 6 semesters. Taught geology fundamentals and practical scenarios of the nexus between geology and societal impact.
Undergraduate Student Researcher, Department of Geosciences, University of Massachusetts Amherst
Worked part-time outside of the degree program for 2 years performing paleomagnetic research on igneous rocks from the Saskatchewan province of Canada. Research contributed to the understanding of Martian geology. Recipient of NASA Space Grant in 2013.